Volume loss is a common indicator of age and can exacerbate wrinkles or cause areas of the face to appear hollow or recessed. Many women who desire larger breasts may be hesitant to choose breast augmentation with implants and feel there are no other options to help them reach their aesthetic goals. While manufactured implants and injectables can produce pleasing facial and breast volume restoration effects, fat grafting provides stunning, natural results as well as the added bonus of body fat reduction. Dr. Sung performs fat grafting, an advanced approach to augmentation, to replenish facial and breast volume without the use of synthetic materials.
Ideal candidates for fat grafting must be in good health and have realistic expectations of the procedure. Fat grafting can be appropriate for both men and women who can relate to any of the following aesthetic concerns:
- Sunken cheeks
- Volume loss under the eyes
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Small or deflated breasts
- Unwanted fat deposits
Fat grafting is a three-stage process that involves the following surgical steps:
- This procedure can be performed using either general anesthesia or intravenous sedation.
- Fat is removed from the donor site via liposuction.
- A cannula is attached to a syringe and inserted into the targeted fat.
- The harvested fat is placed into several smaller syringes.
- A centrifuge is used to purify the fat for injection.
- The purification process removes impurities to ensure maximum graft success.
- Fat is injected into the treatment area with a needle or cannula.
- The fat is delivered in thin, even layers using a fanning motion.
- All incisions are dressed, and the procedure is complete.
Typically, patients can go home on the day of their fat grafting surgery, but some may require overnight observation. Swelling and bruising are likely to occur throughout the recovery process, but these side effects subside significantly after the first or second week. Wearing a compression garment helps minimize swelling and promote healing. Patients are advised to avoid strenuous activity for a few weeks depending on the extent of correction and treatment areas.
Patients can expect to notice immediate improvement following their fat grafting procedure. The treatment areas will be plump and smooth, but it may take several weeks for any residual swelling to subside and reveal the final result. Carefully following all aftercare instructions increases the likelihood of success, producing long-lasting enhancement to the treated area.
Serious complications associated with fat grafting are rare, especially when performed by an accomplished, board-certified plastic surgeon. However, any surgery comes with risks that may include the following:
- Changes in sensation
- Bleeding or hematoma
- Visible scarring
- Abnormal reaction to anesthesia
For more information about fat grafting or to schedule your private consultation with Dr. Jimmy C. Sung, please call 212.452.2800.